Skip to main content

FOCUS!

The teacher that taught my driver’s education course my sophomore year of high school was an odd duck, may he rest in peace. He kept us busy. You probably won’t believe this, but during his class a student could expect to have a film being shown on a screen on one wall, an overhead projector (there I go again, dating myself) casting to a second wall, and him at a third wall writing on the blackboard (not whiteboard, this was the 80s) while lecturing. I’m surprised he didn’t have all four walls going, but, hey, the door and windows have to go somewhere. It’s a good thing learning how to drive is a hands-on experience, because only someone on a significant amount of caffeine could take in everything that was going on in that classroom setting.

Talking about that experience would probably give many of my classmates anxiety. When your brain is doing too many things at once, it can just shut down. Perhaps that isn’t really what goes on physically, but can’t you identify with that emotionally and mentally? I sure can. If you were to be grocery shopping with a set of four-year-old quadruplets that were each asking you to buy them five different things and needing ALL your attention RIGHT NOW, would you not pack up and go home? Or you might cave and spend money for each of them to have one toy so they could be distracted for 2.9 minutes while you get a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread and get out of there.

If it were me, I would never bring them to the store again until they could pay for their own stuff, say, at age 27. The next time I went grocery shopping, I might be tempted to do it in the middle of the night when they were safely tucked in bed and sound asleep so I could CONCENTRATE only on what I need and stick to my BUDGET. You with me?

This, my friends, is an example of what experts call MINDFULNESS. No, it’s not meditation, although meditation IS considered a form of mindfulness and is actually a GREAT practice for physical and mental wellbeing, but I’ll leave that for my sister who does the health blog. According to Kingsford, mindfulness is often described as “being fully aware of what is happening in the present moment without judgment” (see chapter 4, page 61 of her book “Brain Powered Weight Loss”). You certainly should not beat yourself up for bringing your preschool quad squad to the store, and you can probably cut yourself a break for caving and buying them each a toy, but let’s not let it happen again, shall we?

When you need to spend money, try Kingsford’s suggestions…limit the distractions around you (leave the kids with grandma or a friend), bring your attention to what you’re doing (silence your phone for an hour), pay attention to what you think and how you feel (see last week’s post “Remove the Specs”), be aware of your own bad spending habits (like adding stuff to your cart that is not on the list), and engaging in positive self-talk (“I am CHOOSING not to buy ice cream” which, by the way, is a win-win for the budget and the waistline).

Now take a deep cleansing breath.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunny and 75

While the Intermountain West has had slightly cooler climate than is typical for this time of year, I just know gorgeous weather is right around the corner. Today I wore flip flops in the rain just to make my point. And wearing open-toed shoes without socks is just one of the wonderful things you can do when it’s nice outside! I don’t know about you, but thinking about warm-weather activities makes me want to play hooky from work and play instead. But because I am an accountable adult (most days, anyway), I will NOT forsake my grown-up responsibilities (as bad as I might want to) in favor of longer days and spring and summer fun. I can work before I play. And so can you. Here is a short list of things you should check NOW before the weather gets too hot: THE CHIMNEY – climb on your roof (if it’s safe) or use binoculars to check the exterior, hire a professional for the interior cleaning GUTTERS AND DOWNSPOUTS – make sure they’re clean and make repairs as needed THE ROOF – it’s mu

Who’s the Boss?

If you know me at all, then you know I love Dave Ramsey. In fact, I not only attended a Dave Ramsey affair when it once came to an event center near me, but when I went through Tennessee on a road trip, I hunted him down and visited his studio. I have a picture to prove it (well, it’s somewhere). I always listened to Dave when his show was featured from 1:00 to 4:00 pm on my local talk radio station. One of the things he said frequently (something that he actually borrowed from somebody else–John C. Maxwell) was, “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” If you are getting a tax “refund” this year, I will first invite you to review last week's blog post and the three links to previous blog posts. I would then encourage you to plan for that “refund” money, and I don’t mean blow it as most Americans will do. Be smart. Use it to pay off some debt if you, as most Americans do, have some. If not, save it appropriately.  We've discussed deb

April Fools'

Warning: this material might cause anger and frustration in some readers. But don’t shoot the messenger here. Oh, how I wish I could tell you that this post is based on a joke, but I cannot because it’s the cold, hard truth. So here it is: if you have gotten relatively large tax returns in recent years, those days are probably far behind you. Don’t count on it this year. Things have changed. Our refunds will be much smaller for the 2022 tax year. Why? Many Americans thought that the stimulus payments they’d received were basically “free money” and were excited to get them at the time. But, unfortunately, nothing is ever free, and those stimulus payments are returning to bite us now. A couple of tax credits have expired ; the expanded Child Tax Credit and certain Covid-related breaks are no longer in existence. During the pandemic, the IRS also gave breaks to those who filed their taxes late. That, too, has been taken off the table. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you