Skip to main content

One More–Christmas Experiences Part II

Christmas is just a week away. Hopefully you’ve checked everything off your to-do list and can spend some quality time “experiencing” Christmas gifts with your family. Because, after all, your loved ones will be far more touched by how you made them feel than they will be with what you gave them. This week, I want to share with you my sister, Carey’s, family Christmas experience.

“One Christmas, when my boys, now 18, 23 and 28, were little, we gave them an experience that is still talked about now. And it’s something so easily replicated that any family can do it, and it’s not too late to do it for Christmas (even ON Christmas) this year.

We drove around our neighborhood and looked at all the homes decorated for the holiday. We took note of the addresses as we numbered them. We talked about what made each ornamented yards stand out. And at the end of the night, we voted for our favorite.

I had my sons help me make some of our favorite holiday desserts and, in addition to taking plates to family, friends, and other important people we wanted to share with, we took a plate to the home that we declared “the winner” of our friendly, family competition. The best part? Sharing what we felt to be the true message of Christmas with a family that we had never met.”

It is never too late to give your family an experience gift, even when Christmas 2020 will be long in our rear view. It just takes a little effort. I encourage you to make a Merry Christmas this year. We are excited for 2021...stay up with us!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who’s the Boss?

If you know me at all, then you know I love Dave Ramsey. In fact, I not only attended a Dave Ramsey affair when it once came to an event center near me, but when I went through Tennessee on a road trip, I hunted him down and visited his studio. I have a picture to prove it (well, it’s somewhere). I always listened to Dave when his show was featured from 1:00 to 4:00 pm on my local talk radio station. One of the things he said frequently (something that he actually borrowed from somebody else–John C. Maxwell) was, “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” If you are getting a tax “refund” this year, I will first invite you to review last week's blog post and the three links to previous blog posts. I would then encourage you to plan for that “refund” money, and I don’t mean blow it as most Americans will do. Be smart. Use it to pay off some debt if you, as most Americans do, have some. If not, save it appropriately.  We've discussed deb

April Fools'

Warning: this material might cause anger and frustration in some readers. But don’t shoot the messenger here. Oh, how I wish I could tell you that this post is based on a joke, but I cannot because it’s the cold, hard truth. So here it is: if you have gotten relatively large tax returns in recent years, those days are probably far behind you. Don’t count on it this year. Things have changed. Our refunds will be much smaller for the 2022 tax year. Why? Many Americans thought that the stimulus payments they’d received were basically “free money” and were excited to get them at the time. But, unfortunately, nothing is ever free, and those stimulus payments are returning to bite us now. A couple of tax credits have expired ; the expanded Child Tax Credit and certain Covid-related breaks are no longer in existence. During the pandemic, the IRS also gave breaks to those who filed their taxes late. That, too, has been taken off the table. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you

Greener Pastures

Those of you who have been following me for some time now know I am a warm-weather person. Spring is one of my favorite times of the year. I COME ALIVE when Daylight Saving Time starts. As far as I’m concerned, LIGHT IS LIFE. And that proclamation is a perfect segue into today’s topic. As the days get longer and warmer, most venture outside a little more and hibernate less. So it’s the perfect time to adjust our schedules and homes that can help save the planet and some of our hard-earned money. How? Well, there are lots of little things you can do that, added up, can make a huge difference. Switch out your regular light bulbs for LEDs. If you plan to buy a new appliance, purchase one with the ENERGY STAR seal and recycle your old one. Insulate your doors and windows. Save rainwater to water your landscape in the drier days ahead. Use the sun to dry your laundry by hanging it on a clothesline. Want more ideas? Google is LOADED with suggestions! Get the whole family involved and m