Skip to main content

Is It Really You?


Technology has come a long way in the last thirty years. There are so many wonderful things we can do that two generations ago would have considered impossible. But with modern conveniences often comes new problems. Having your identity stolen is one of those issues. And it’s more involved than a thief pretending to be you to access your ATM with your PIN.

If someone takes out a credit card in your name, you are not liable to pay the bill; banks have insurance to cover fraud. However, taking care of the legalities surrounding such a problem is time-consuming and stressful. Resolving the issue can take over your life. This is the major reason to get identity theft insurance, more commonly called ID theft protection.

Check out what a company offers before you enroll; many offer reimbursements for losses and time-spent on recovery efforts, and some go as far as offering a representative who will clean things up on your behalf. Decide what you want and find a company that fits that bill.

Meanwhile, there are simple things you can do to help protect your identity as well as those of your children. Check your credit report regularly and report inconsistencies. Make sure computers have updated antivirus software. Use the highest privacy settings on all social media accounts. Secure phones with passcodes. Don’t use unsecured Wi-Fi. Change passwords often, never use the same one for more than one site, and use a password manager.  Check online accounts daily and keep your account numbers (including Social Security numbers) secure. Monitor medical histories. Pay attention to the news–they report data hacks and security breaches. And don’t fall for phishing scams; the IRS will not call you, and there are ways to double-check whether or not that email from card company is secure.

Don’t bury your head in the sand when it comes to this. The chances of identity theft will undoubtedly continue to rise in the coming years, but you don’t have to become an easy target.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunny and 75

While the Intermountain West has had slightly cooler climate than is typical for this time of year, I just know gorgeous weather is right around the corner. Today I wore flip flops in the rain just to make my point. And wearing open-toed shoes without socks is just one of the wonderful things you can do when it’s nice outside! I don’t know about you, but thinking about warm-weather activities makes me want to play hooky from work and play instead. But because I am an accountable adult (most days, anyway), I will NOT forsake my grown-up responsibilities (as bad as I might want to) in favor of longer days and spring and summer fun. I can work before I play. And so can you. Here is a short list of things you should check NOW before the weather gets too hot: THE CHIMNEY – climb on your roof (if it’s safe) or use binoculars to check the exterior, hire a professional for the interior cleaning GUTTERS AND DOWNSPOUTS – make sure they’re clean and make repairs as needed THE ROOF – it’s mu

Who’s the Boss?

If you know me at all, then you know I love Dave Ramsey. In fact, I not only attended a Dave Ramsey affair when it once came to an event center near me, but when I went through Tennessee on a road trip, I hunted him down and visited his studio. I have a picture to prove it (well, it’s somewhere). I always listened to Dave when his show was featured from 1:00 to 4:00 pm on my local talk radio station. One of the things he said frequently (something that he actually borrowed from somebody else–John C. Maxwell) was, “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” If you are getting a tax “refund” this year, I will first invite you to review last week's blog post and the three links to previous blog posts. I would then encourage you to plan for that “refund” money, and I don’t mean blow it as most Americans will do. Be smart. Use it to pay off some debt if you, as most Americans do, have some. If not, save it appropriately.  We've discussed deb

April Fools'

Warning: this material might cause anger and frustration in some readers. But don’t shoot the messenger here. Oh, how I wish I could tell you that this post is based on a joke, but I cannot because it’s the cold, hard truth. So here it is: if you have gotten relatively large tax returns in recent years, those days are probably far behind you. Don’t count on it this year. Things have changed. Our refunds will be much smaller for the 2022 tax year. Why? Many Americans thought that the stimulus payments they’d received were basically “free money” and were excited to get them at the time. But, unfortunately, nothing is ever free, and those stimulus payments are returning to bite us now. A couple of tax credits have expired ; the expanded Child Tax Credit and certain Covid-related breaks are no longer in existence. During the pandemic, the IRS also gave breaks to those who filed their taxes late. That, too, has been taken off the table. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you